Anchoring and mooring
The increasing activity in our waters has brought to light impacts that endanger the conservation status of Posidonia and its habitat. Every summer season, a large influx of recreational boats come to enjoy our waters, and with them come risks of improper anchoring pressures:
– The direct effect of dropping and lifting the anchor on the Posidonia meadow.
– Erosive effect of the chain if the anchor is not positioned vertically due to the rubbing and movement of the chain on the meadow.
The increase in temperatures and the arrival of new invasive species are among the most significant impacts suffered by Posidonia oceanica. As a slow-growing organism, these heatwaves negatively affect plant functions, causing thermal stress that disrupts the balance between population growth and mortality. In addition, these temperature increase allow invasive species to establish themselves in our waters at the expense of native species, as they come from warmer areas.
Posidonia is highly vulnerable to disturbances in water quality. This water pollution can occur in different ways:
– Excessive input of nutrients from runoffs in agricultural, livestock, and industrial activities, among others.
– Introduction of chemical pollutants that disrupt the biogeochemistry of the plant from industrial discharges, uncontrolled outlets from desalination plants and wastewater treatment plants, or unauthorized discharges of pollutants.
– Excess sediment in the water column in coastal development areas (dredging) or erosion that hinders photosynthesis.
We know that maritime traffic from boats has an impact on Posidonia meadows through noise. The waves emitted by the boats are harmful to the proper development of the plant. Those areas of the Balearic Islands with higher maritime traffic are the most vulnerable. On the other hand, studies are being conducted to determine if sunscreens cause any effects and to what extent on Posidonia.
WHAT IS POSIDONIA?
History and evolution
BENEFITS OF POSIDONIA
IMPACTS ON POSIDONIA
USES OF POSIDONIA
Other traditional uses
CONSERVATION TO THE BALEARIC ISLANDS
Servei de Vigilància
Camp de boies